Sunday, March 7, 2010

Am I ready?????


I just completed another step in my quest to become a healthier me and compete in a 5k run this summer. I have been going to the gym on the regular for about 6 weeks and feel good about that I lift weights, row, bike and use the elliptical machine eat more fiber than my body knows what to do with, but have been afraid of this day for about 6 weeks. I can be very competitive and this has been one of the more humbling quests, things do not happen as quickly as I would like some folks think that I may be setting my expectations too high.... what is too high? The idea of just finishing the race does not motivate me, that may be all that happens is I just finish..... but I have to set lofty goals or it is just not any fun. Anyway Lisa will be here in about 2 weeks and I need to be able to run around the corner by the time she gets here. Otherwise those expectations will really make us laugh. So no time like the present to get started, I completed my first 3 mile run/walk this morning (it was 50/50). Did I do an 8 minute mile-no, would I have been able to win a race against a small child in a race-no, but I did finish it-yes. YAHOO!! The plan is to get in as many runs as possible before the arrival of the Diva.

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to blogging. Embracing the Journey with you 100% of the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baby steps.... I started running last year and signed up for a 5K training program at Fleet Feet. We started off walking, then run for 4 minutes, run for 1 for a week. Then we moved to walking for 3 minutes running for 2... and so forth. It was a 10 week program and I ran my first 5K without stopping, very slowly and it was hard as hell, but I finished without stopping. Take baby steps, but keep stepping and you will get there. I promise.

    I found a Fleet Feet for you in Louisville, KY but I don't know if that's too far from you. Here's the link:
    http://www.fleetfeetlouisville.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm training for my first 5K, too! Will be cheering you on! We got you!

    ReplyDelete