Sunday, March 28, 2010

Eating Better-- tips from Runners World




Runner's World has this great article "On the Money".....How to save and when to splurge on healthy runner friendly foods.

A lot of the food discussed in this article agree with The Eat Clean Diet the program I follow, I am going to share a few of the items in article and others that I practice.

Splurge--Grass Fed Beef, (lean protein) Grass-fed beef comes from cattle raised in open patures , feeding on a steady diet of 100-percent organic grass. Grassfed beef is lower in saturated fat, Bison is my favorite, bison has a higher protein content and less fat than beef. I had my first Bison Burger this year, believe me it is one of the best burgers I have ever had. Also had very very lean beef (used in Chilli) I could tell the difference and my kids did to let's say the joke "fat is flavor" applied when it came to my kids, I didn't and don't agree.
Splurge--Greek Yogurt, Thick, creamy Greek yogurt, which is strained to remove excess liquid. , containes up to twice as much protein as less-expensive American-type. I love this yogurt just make sure you look at the fat and sugar content, some Greek yogurts can pack a lot of sugar, recommend buying low fat plain versions and adding fresh fruit to sweeten them. "A probiotic is a beneficial bateria usally from a plant source and found in the intestinal tract. Beware of what you are buying in the dairy case. Yogurt already has probiotics in it. Don't be duped by products that say the contain enhanced probiotic agents. They are all the same."


Save--Large Snack Bags, those 100-calorie snack sacks cost two to three times more per ounce than their bulkier counterparts, instead buy big and portion out an appropriate serving size yourself. While your at it, choose a big bag of popcorn over orange cheese puffs. "Despite the built-in portion control, most of these 100 calorie snacks come from nutritionally poor foods like chips and cookies--and they create extra waste".
Save--Regular Eggs, Why not spend extra money on "free-range" eggs? After all chickens that forage outside produce eggs higher in beta-carotene, omega-3, and vitamin D. The problem is the USDA allow producers to use the "free-range" term if their hens are uncaged with access to the outdoors--but the type of access and time outdoors can greatly vary. And "range" can mean anything from grassy field to a concrete slab. Unless you can talk directly to a farmer, stick to a regular eggs, which is still chock full of nutrients.

These are just a few items from the article and some things things that I have learned in the process, I hope you find them informative. Well I have to go run, I am behind the 8-ball again so hopefully I can catch up this week, I will keep you posted.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this! I do eat Greek yogurt, and you are so correct in that it can contain a lot of sugar. My fave is Fage plain with the honey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just ordered my subscription to Runners World. Yeah Me!

    ReplyDelete